Monday, August 6, 2012

National Root Beer Float Day

Never heard of it?
Haha, neither did we, until my mom told us!
(even though I'm pretty sure that Root Beer isn't even a national thing..whatevs)
Who doesn't love made up holidays?? 
A random reason to celebrate a food that you love?
Ya, I'll take it!
To "celebrate"...using that word lightly...Andy and I went up to my parents because last night my mom had made 
"Root Beer Float Pie". 
YUM! 
She's made this before and it's definitely up there on my top favorite pies,
 next to my Grandma Barbara's Strawberry Cream Cheese pie.
 But seriously, delicious.
I posted this picture to my Instagram...@bailmcdon...and thought I would post the recipe for you all!


Mind you in the picture above my mom made her own Graham Cracker crust which was very good,
 but she has also made it with the pre-made Graham Cracker crust that you can buy, which is also very yummy. 
So do it how you feel comfortable doing it!

So here you all go:

Root Beer Float Pie
PREP: 15 min. + chilling YIELD: 8 servings

1 carton (8oz) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
3/4 cup cold diet root beer
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 pkg. (5.1oz) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 graham cracker crust (9 in.)
Maraschino cherries, optional 

1. Set aside and refrigerate 1/2 cup whipped topping for garnish. In a large bowl, whisk the root beer, milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft set. Fold in half of the remaining whipped topping. Spread into graham cracker crust.
2. Spread remaining whipped topping over pie. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. (IMPORTANT*)
3. Dollop reserved whipped topping over each serving top with a maraschino cherry if desired.

*The first time we made this, we didn't let it refrigerate for that long, and we used to big of a thing of pudding, so it was very runny. You definitely want it to set up, still good either way though!

 Also, we aren't that big into making things healthy around this place, so we don't use low fat, fat-free stuff, but again do it how you'd like!
Simple as that! And amazingly delicious!


ps. Apparently Wendy's has a Root Beer flavored frosty, and no I'm not talking about the "Frosty Float".
This is how my mom found out it was National Root Beer Float Day!

Are there any fun, random 
holidays you guys celebrate?!
Let us know!

Love, 
B

No comments:

Post a Comment