Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Father's Day Lamp

A couple weeks before Father's Day, 
I took my dad's mission slides from collecting dust in the basement.
Andy is really big into digitizing stuff because of the things he does with work.
So I told my dad that we were going to digitize them all for him. (Which as true).
I emptied all the boxes, and the carousels full of mission slides.
I then got started on digitizing all the slides.
After a few days, of digitizing, I finally finished with that part.

Next, I sorted all the slides by the dates that were on them.
Using a light box, I went through each year of his mission and chose the slides that I thought were,
most pretty of Alaska, fun of him on his mission, or something that stood out to me.
I lined them all up in the order that I wanted them to be on the lamp.
I loved how some of them had my dad's handwriting on them.
So instead of painting the white part of the slide, I left them all as is.

I used 2 sets of pliers, but found that ones without the big grooves in them are best so they don't tear up the metal rings.
I bought enough metal "Jump Rings" (located in the jewelry section).
Also, a 1/16" hole punch.



I measured where I wanted the holes to be on one slide, then punched the holes.
After doing one slide, I just used it as a template for all the others.
With both of the pliers, I opened the jump rings, and attached them to the slides in a row.
Then connected the rows together.
I had 4 rows of 12 slides.


The final product!


I had Andy film me giving it to my dad.
I plugged it into his room by his bed, and then asked him to come into the room with me.
I wished him a Happy Father's Day by giving him the box of his slides and said, 
"They are all digitized and everything, BUT there may be a few missing...."
Then walked into his bedroom to show him the lamp.
We both began to bawl and hug.

Basically, he LOVED it!
Exactly the reaction I was hoping for.
I'm so happy that he now can look at them every day instead of them being in a box collecting dust.


I love this dad of mine so much.
He's one of my best friends.
I truly am the luckiest girl around!

Love you dad!
Love, B

1 comment:

  1. Besides the blisters on your hand from crimping all those metal links, you're setting the bar pretty high for what I expect to get when I'm a father on Fathers day :)

    ReplyDelete